Dr. Ravinder Rena holds the position of Adjunct Professor of Economics at Monarch Business School Switzerland. He holds a Ph.D. in Economics from Osmania University, Hyderabad, India. He also holds a Master of Philosophy in Economics and Master of Arts in Economics from Osmania University. Ha also obtained a B.A. and LL.B from Kakatiya University, Warangal, India and B.Ed from Annamalai University, Tamilnadu, India.
Dr. Rena is a distinguished scholar in the field of Economics. He has 20 years of teaching and research experience and serves in many positions in different Universities of the Asia-Pacific and Africa. He is a Member in several professional bodies and serves different Committees at various Universities and Institutions.
He has authored ten books and published over 100 papers in referred journals. He published widely on the areas of micro finance, international finance, rural entrepreneurship, globalization and higher education, climate change and clean technologies. His research interests are: Economics of Education and Development Economics with a particular focus on Africa and Asia-Pacific. His areas of teaching include: Applied Economic Analysis, International Economics, Managerial Economics, Research Methods, Public Finance and Taxation, Economic Growth and Development. He is the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of the International Journal of Education Economics and Development (IJEED) being published at the United Kingdom and Switzerland. He is also an Editorial Board Member and Referee for several professional journals. He serves as an external examiner for Masters and Ph.Ds at various Universities of Asia, Africa and European Continents. Dr. Rena has supervised and/or reviewed over 35 dissertations at the graduate level.
Academic Positions Held
- Adjunct Professor of Economics, Monarch Business School Switzerland
- Professor of Economics, University of Western Cape, South Africa
- Senior Lecturer in Economics, Harold Pupkewitz Graduate School of Business, Polytechnic of Namibia
Academic Positions Held In The Past
- Adjunct Professor of Economics, Namibia Business School (NBS), University of Namibia
- Adjunct Professor Christhu Raj Institute of Management (CIM), Bharathidasan University, Tamilnadu, India
- Senior Lecturer and the Head of Economics, Department of Business Studies; The Papua New Guinea University of Technology, Lae, Papua New Guinea.
- Professor of Economics, Eritrea Institute of Technology, Eritrea
- Ph.D. Economics, Osmania University, India
- M.Phil. Economics, Osmania University, India
- M.A. Economics, Osmania University, India
- B.Ed. Annamalai University, India
- LL.B. Kakatiya University, India
- B.A. Kakatiya University, India
Awards And Honors
- Academic Honour: Vemuri Seshayya Sastry University Gold Medal (December 2001) Awarded on the occasion of the 75th (Platinum Jubilee) Osmania University Convocation for the Best Ph.D. Candidates / Thesis in the Field of Economics / Commerce / Business Management.
- Best Researcher of the Year 2011 Award in the Faculty of Business and Management, Polytechnic of Namibia, Windhoek Namibia.
Main Academic Interests
- Economics of Education
- Business, Managerial & Monetary Economics
- Micro & Macro Economics
- Corporate Finance
- Money, Banking and International Trade
- Banking Theory, Law and Practice
- Development Economics & Economic Approaches for Local Development
- Public Finance and Taxation
Associations And Memberships
- Member, ACBSP-Accreditation Council For Business Schools & Programs, USA
- Rena, Ravinder (2010) War-torn Eritrean Economy: Problems and Prospects for Development, Saarbrücken (Germany): Verlag Dr. Müller (VDM) Publishers, Pages: 300; ISBN:978-3-639-29508-5
- Rena, Ravinder and Kidane Eyob (2009) Eritrean Educational Reforms– Issues, Perspectives and Policy Implications, Hyderabad, (India): The ICFAI University Press, pages: 285; ISBN: 978-81-314-1721-8
- Rena, Ravinder (2006) Financial Institutions in Eritrea, Dar es Salaam (Tanzania): New Africa Press (Printed in the UK); pages: 120; ISBN-10: 0-9802534-8-9
- Rena, Ravinder (2006) A Handbook on the Eritrean Economy: Problems and Prospects for Development, Dar es Salaam (Tanzania): New Africa Press (Printed in the UK). Pages: 280; ISBN-10: 0-9802534-6-2; ISBN-13: 978-0-9802534-6-7
Selected and Recent Publications
- Rena, Ravinder (2011) “The Impact of Public and Private Investments on the Namibian Economy- An Empirical Analysis”, Review of Economic and Business Studies, 4(1): 59-78.
- Rena, Ravinder (2011) “Challenges for Quality of Primary Education in Papua New Guinea – A Case Study”, Educational Research International 1(1):1-11.
- Heiko Haase; Arndt Lautenschläger and Rena, Ravinder (2011)”The Entrepreneurial Mind-set of University Students: A Cross-cultural Comparison between Namibia and Germany”, International Journal of Education Economics and Development, 2(2): 113-129.
- Rena, Ravinder; Muhammad Shahabz; and Muhammad Irfan Chani (2011) “Impact of Currency Depreciation on Trade Balance: A Case Study on Papua New Guinea”, The Journal of Pacific Studies, Vol. 31(1):117-140.
- Rena, Ravinder (2011) “Poverty and HIV/AIDs in Namibia – Causes, Consequences and Policy Options”, Journal of Development Alternatives and Area Studies (formerly Scandinavian Journal of Development Alternatives and Area Studies), 30(1&2):103-127.
- Rena Ravinder (2010) “The Impact of Global Economic Crisis on the Namibian Economy: Issues and Challenges”, Review of Business and Technology Research, 3(1): 475-488
- Rena, Ravinder (2010) “Emerging Trends of Higher Education in Developing Countries”, Analele Stiintifice-Stiinte Economice (Scientific Annals of Economic Sciences) of the Alexandru Ioan Cuza University of Iasi, Special Issue, pp.301-317.
- Rena, Ravinder (2010) “Namibian Economy: Recent Developments and Future Expectations”, Gaborone (Botswana): Journal of Social and Economic Policy, 7(1):129-142.
- Rena, Ravinder and Teweldemedhin, MY (2010) “The Effect of South African Monetary Changes on the Namibian Economy: Case study on Beef Industry”, Review of General Management, 11(1):23-35.
- Rena, Ravinder (2009) “Poverty in Eritrea – Challenges and Implications for Development”, Paris (France) International Social Science Journal, 60(197-198):325-335.
- Rena, Ravinder; Ruth J. Andujar (2009) “Trade Effects and Implications on Global Poverty Reduction from LIC Perspective” Osmania Journal of International Business Studies, 4(1): 51-65.
- Rena, Ravinder; Muhammad Shahabz; and Qazi Muhammad Adnan Hye(2009) “Does Nominal devaluation Precede Real Devaluation in Flexible Exchange Rate Regime? A Case Study of Papua New Guinea”, Asia-Pacific Business Review 5(4):3-17.
- Rena, Ravinder (2009) “Education and youth development in Eritrea: A discourse”, The Nigerian Journal of Guidance and Counselling -An International Journal, 14(1): 123-134.
- Rena, Ravinder (2009) “Macroeconomic Management in the World Economy–An Exploratory Note on Africa”, Review of General Management, 9(1):19-32.
- Rena, Ravinder (2009) “Entrepreneurship and Development Challenges in Papua New Guinea” Asia-pacific Business Review 5(1): 35-47.
- Rena, Ravinder (2009) “The Child Labour In Developing Countries – A Challenge to Millennium Development Goals,” Indus Journal of Management and Social Sciences, 3(1):1-8.
- Rena, Ravinder (2009) “Indian Economy- Financial Sector Reforms and Development”, International Journal of Business and Emerging Markets, 1(4): 387-404.
- Rena, Ravinder (2008) “WTO and Agricultural Trade – Some Issues and Perspectives”, KASBIT Business Journal, 1(1):49-60.
- Rena, Ravinder (2008) “Warsai-Yikeaalo Program and its Impact in Post war Eritrea – A Development Perspective”, Asian African Journal of Economics and Econometrics, 8(1): 99-109.
- Rena, Ravinder (2008) “MicroFinance in Eritrea – A Catalyst for Women Development”, The Journal of African Policy Studies, 14 (1): 59-78.
- Rena, Ravinder (2008) “Enhancing Productivity, Efficiency and International Competitiveness of Indian Economy”, International Journal of Management Research and Technology, 2(1): 33-45.
- Rena, Ravinder (2008) “Sectoral Performance in the African Economy – Some Issues and Trends’, Indus Journal of Management and Social Sciences, 2(1): 1-14.
- Ghirmai Kefela and Rena, Ravinder (2008) “Human Capital Investment in North East African States – A Re assessment”, African Journal of Public Administration and Management, 19(1): 41-58.
- Rena, Ravinder (2008) “Impact of HIV/AIDS on Poverty and Education in Africa”, Accountancy Business and Public Interest,7(1): 92-104.
- Rena, Ravinder; N. Narayana (2007) “Gender Empowerment in Africa: An Analysis of Women Participation in Eritrean Economy”, International Journal of Women, Social Justice and Human Rights, 2(2): 221-237.
- Rena, Ravinder (2007) “Factors affecting the Enrollment and the Retention of Students at Primary Education in Andhra Pradesh – a Village Level Study”, Essays in Education, 22 (Fall): 102-112.
- Rena, Ravinder (2007) “Distance Education and Its Potential for the Red Sea Nation, Eritrea – A Discourse”, ,Australian Journal of Adult Learning, 47(3): 492-519.
- Rena, Ravinder and Ghirmai Tesfy (2007) “Poverty and Microfinance in Eritrea – A Discourse”, The Global Journal of Finance and Economics, 4(2): 147-161.
- Rena, Ravinder (2007) “Agriculture Development and Food Security Policy In Eritrea – An Analysis”, African Journal of Food Agriculture, Nutrition and Development, 7(5): 1-17.
- Rena, Ravinder (2007) “Trends and Determinants of Poverty in the Horn of Africa- Some Implications” Indian Journal of Social Development, 7(1): 65-77.
- Rena, Ravinder (2007) “Women and Economic Emancipation in Eritrea – Some Observations”, Gender and Behaviour, 5(1): 1082-1088.
- Rena, Ravinder (2007) “Historical Development of Money and Banking in Eritrea from the Axumite Kingdom to the Present”, African and Asian Studies, 6(1&2):135-153.
- Rena, Ravinder (2006) “Developing Countries and Their Participation in the WTO in Making Trade Policy – An Analysis”, Indian Journal of Social Development, 6(2): 143-156.
- Rena, Ravinder (2005) “Gender Disparity in Education – An Eritrean Perspective”, The Global Child Journal 2(1): 43-49.
- Rena, Ravinder (2005) “Eritrean Education – Retrospect and Prospect,” Eastern Africa Journal of Humanities and Sciences, 5(2):1-12
- Rena, Ravinder (2005) “Challenges for Food Security in Eritrea – A Descriptive and Qualitative Analysis”, African Development Review, 17 (2):193-212.
- Rena, Ravinder (2004) “Green Revolution: Indian Agricultural Experience – A Paradigm for Eritrea”, Eritrean Studies Review, 4(1): 103-130.