Dr. Laurence Leigh holds the position of Professor of Marketing. He is also on the faculty of the Olayan School of Business of the American University in Beirut as well as Professor at Rushmore University in the U.S. Dr. Leigh holds a Ph.D. in Marketing from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, an M.B.A. from the London Business School and an M.A. from Queens’ College, Cambridge University.
Dr. Leigh has significant experience in both the teaching and professional fields. He has been a marketing executive and consultant to a number of multinational corporations including: Unilever, SmithKline, Gateway Building Society and British Airways. He has also been a founding member of two successful start-up companies in California and is currently participating in a new high technology venture there. He has also participated in reviewing submissions to academic journals such as “Marketing Management” and “The Journal of Business Research”. His teaching career has taken him to many of the top business schools in the world allowing him to visit and experience many different cultures.
At present, Dr. Leigh is located in Beirut, Lebanon. He speaks English natively with a command of Italian and French.
Academic Positions Held
- Professor of Marketing, Monarch Business School
- Assistant Professor, Olayan School of Business, American University Beirut
- Professor, Rushmore University, USA
- Associate Professor, Pepperdine University, Los Angeles, California
- Elton B. Stephens Associate Professor, Birmingham-Southern College, Alabama
- Visiting Professor, Central European University, Budapest, Hungary
- Visiting Professor, American University in Bulgaria
- Visiting Professor, Intercollege Cyprus
- Professor, Universitas 21, Singapore
- Ph.D. in Marketing, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, USA
- M.B.A., London Business School, England, UK
- M.A., in Economics, Queen’s College, Cambridge University, UK
Awards And Honors
- Member of the Editorial Review Board, Marketing Management
- Ad Hoc Reviewer, International Journal of Emerging Markets
- Ad Hoc Reviewer, Journal of Business Research
- Chairman and Discussant at American Marketing Association Conference
Main Academic Interests
- Global Business
Professional Positions Held
- Founding Director, College Enterprises Inc., California
- Founding Partner, Atoll Enterprises, California
- Corporate Training Consultant, Fiat Group, Turin, Italy
- Director / Consultant, P.D.U. Ltd., London, UK (Marketing Consultancy)
- Marketing Coordinator, Ever Ready Group, London, UK
- Director of Planning, Potterton International Ltd., Warwick, UK
- Marketing Services Manager, T.I. Raleigh Ltd., Nottingham, UK
- Corporate Planner, Tube Investments Ltd., London, UK
- Member, ACBSP-Accreditation Council For Business Schools & Programs, USA
Selected and Recent Publications
- ‘Encouraging Corporate Transparency; a Case Study’, accepted for publication by the European Business Review.
- ‘Recruiting and Training better Bush Pilots; a Research-based Approach’, with Roy Rissanen, published online by the Journal of Aviation Management and Education, scheduled for offline publication in 2010.
- ‘Marketing Blood Drives to Students: A case study,’ with Roxana Mariana Alexe and Michael Bist. International Journal of Health Care Quality Assurance, Vol 20, No.1, 2007.
- ‘Online Training in LDC’s; A case study’. Journal of Enterprising Culture, June 2006.
- ‘Competitive Advantages of Nations: Applications to Armenia’, with Dr. Armen Chobanyan, UNDP. International Journal of Emerging Markets Research 2006.
- ‘Creating International Managers the Fiat way’ (Accepted in principle by the Journal of Management Development, but withdrawn because of adverse developments at FIAT Group which prevented publication)
- ‘Getting the Pulse Racing,’ Marketing Management. May, 1997.
- ‘Contestability of Deregulated Airline Markets: Some Empirical Tests,’ Transportation Journal, Winter, 1990.
- ‘Marketing of Nursing Education; A Case Study,’ with Annette C. Frauman, Journal of Nursing Education, March, 1989.
- ‘Reliability of Nominal Data based on Qualitative Judgments,’ with William D. Perreault Jr., Journal of Marketing Research, May, 1988.
- ‘Successful New Product Development’, Commerce International, London, May, 1980.
Conference Papers And Seminars
- ‘Quantity Discounts: How big should they be?’ 9th International Congress on Marketing Trends, Venice, January 2010
- ‘e-CRM; Can we finally get it right?’ 8th International Congress on Marketing Trends, Paris, January 2009.
- ‘Dealing with Change’, Executive Training Seminar for the Kuwait National Petrolum Company, May 2006.
- ‘Fiat Auto – a personal view revisited’, Seminar at the American University in Beirut, May 2005.
- ‘Fiat Auto – a personal view’, Seminar at the American University in Rome, June 2003.
- ‘Developing Global Management the FIAT Way’, Seminar for visiting Chinese Human Resource Specialists, ILO Turin Training Center, December 2001.
- ‘College Enterprises (A)’ – A case study taught on the Entrepreneurial Management Program at the London Business School, 1999.
- ‘The European Economic Area: A Review of Developments,’ International Academy of Business Disciplines, Los Angeles, 1995.
- ‘Statistical Estimation of Overcharges in Price-fixing Cases,’ with Ed. Sanford et. al., International Symposium on Economic Modeling, Bologna, Italy, 1995.
- ‘Vertical Integration; Measurement and Implications,’ Western Decision Science Institute, Maui, 1994.
- ‘Marketing Implications of NAFTA and the European Community,’ Cardiff Business School, University of Wales, 1993
- ‘Small and medium-sized Companies in the Global Market: Lessons from the Italian Experience’, UCLA-Italian Trade Commission Seminar, Los Angeles, 1992.
- International Marketing Seminar – Master in Comunicazione d’Impresa – Publitalia, Milan, Italy, 1992.
- ‘Airline Deregulation in the US; Lessons for Europe,’ Bath University School of Management, UK, 1992.
- International Marketing Elective – MBA Program, SDA Bocconi, Milan, Italy, 1991.
- ‘Network Effects on Deregulated Airlines,’ Western Decision Sciences Institute, Kauai, Hawaii, 1991.
- ‘Marketing to a United Europe’, Presidential/Key Executive Seminar, Pepperdine University, L.A. 1990.
- ‘Competitive Airline Strategy in Deregulated Markets’, London Business School Centre for Business Strategy Seminar, London, England, 1988.
- ‘Restructuring in Tough Market Conditions’, Alabama Farm and Power Equipment Dealers’ Conference, Birmingham, Alabama, 1988.
- ‘New Product Development’, Northern Ireland Development Authority Seminar, Belfast, N. Ireland., 1981.
- ‘Marketing and Physical Distribution Management’, British Institute of Management / Physical Distribution Management Society Conference, London, England, 1975.
- 2015-June: Monarch Doctoral Symposium, Rapperswil, Switzerland
- 2013-May: Monarch Doctoral Symposium Zug, Switzerland