Dr. Craig Webster holds the position of Professor of International Relations at UGSM-Monarch Business School. He also holds the position of Associate Professor at Ball State University in Indidana.
Dr. Webster is a Ph.D. graduate of Binghamton University of the State University of New York where he also completed MA studies. Dr. Webster is also an MBA graduate from Intercollege in Cyprus.
Dr. Webster academic focus lies in: comparative foreign policy, public opinion analysis, the politics of tourism and human rights. Apart from his academic duties, he has held several consulting mandates with international organizations such as: UNOPS and the World Bank. Professionally, he has worked with ACNeilson and DecisionQuest amongst others.
Dr. Webster is an active academic with many journal articles and conference proceedings to his name as well as acting as Editor, Co-Editor and contributor to well-known journals, such as: Tourism Today, Cyprus Review, The International Journal of Tourism Policy and Research, World Journal of Tourism Small Business Management, Tourism, International Studies Perspectives.
Academic Positions Held
- Professor of International Relations, UGSM-Monarch Business School Switzerland
- Assistant Professor, Ball State University, Indiana, USA
Academic Positions Held In The Past
- Associate Professor, University of Nicosia, School of Humanities, Social Sciences, and Law (Cyprus)
- Program Coordinator, International Relations and European Studies, University of Nicosia
- PhD, Binghamton University, USA
- MA, Binghamton University, USA
- MBA, Intercollege, Cyprus
Awards And Honors
- Editor-in-Chief, Tourism Today. (ISSN 1450-0906)
- Co-Editor, Cyprus Review
- Reviewer: The International Journal of Tourism Policy and Research, World Journal of Tourism Small Business Management, Tourism, International Studies Perspectives
Main Academic Interests
- Comparative Foreign Policy
- Public Opinion Analysis
- Politics of Tourism
- Human Rights
Consulting Positions Held In The Past
- Senior Economic Analyst, Evaluation Team of UNOPS Cyprus for USAID (Cyprus). March 2004
- Human Rights Statistical Consultant, World Bank, Washington, DC.
- Visiting Researcher, Institute of Human Rights—University of Oslo
- Trial Consulting Research Associate, DecisionQuest, Boston, USA
- Research Executive, Consumer Research—ACNielsen
- Research Consultant, RGP Consulting, Virginia, USA
- Member, ACBSP-Accreditation Council For Business Schools & Programs, USA
- Member, ECBE-European Council For Business Education, Switzerland
- Member, Phi Beta Kappa
- “Future Tourism: Pondering Issues and Trajectories. Edited by J. Leigh and C. Webster. Routledge (agreement not yet finalized).
Chapters in Books
- “The Political Economy of Tourism in the Future” (research in progress) By Craig Webster and Stanislav Ivanov. In Future Tourism: Pondering Issues and Trajectories. Edited by J. Leigh and C. Webster. Routledge (agreement not yet finalized).
- “The Paradigms of Political Economy and Tourism Policy: NTOs and State Policy” (2011) by Craig Webster, Stanislav Ivanov, and Steve Illum. In Political Economy and Tourism. Edited by Jan Mosedale. Routledge: Taylor Francis Group. pp. 55-73.
- “The Opening of the Ledra Crossing in Nicosia: Social and Economic Consequences” (2010) by David Jacobson, Bernard Musyck, Stelios Orphanides and Craig Webster. In Tourism and Political Change. Edited by Richard Butler and Wantanee Suntikul. Goodfellow Publishers: Woodeaton, Oxford. pp. 199-207.
- “Settlement of the Cyprus Conflict and the Greek Cypriot Tourism Industry.” (2010). By David Jacobson, Ozay Mehmet, Bernard Musyck, Stelios Orphanides, and Craig Webster. In Tourism, Progress and Peace. Edited by Omar Moufakkir and Ian Kelly. CABI: Oxford. pp. 212-227.
- “The Correlates of Vacationing: Greek Cypriots and their Vacationing Habits.” (2005) in Kazimierz Obodynsky and Wojciech J. Cynarski (Ed.) “International Dialogue: Global, European, National and Multicultural Dimensions of Tourism” Rzeszow, Poland: EACE Press., pp. 193-204.
- “U.S. Foreign Policy and Human Rights in Latin America: An Empirical Investigation over Three Presidencies.” (1996) in David Louis Cingranelli (Ed.) Human Rights and Developing Countries. Greenwich, Connecticut: JAI Press. Pp. 183 – 192.
Journal Articles in Print or Submitted
- “The Millennium Development Goals: What Went Wrong and What is Going Right?”. In-Depth. (forthcoming 2011).
- “World Values Survey in Cyprus 2006: A Brief Overview. (June 2010) With Birol Yesilada, Nicos Peristianis, and Harry Anastasiou. Cyprus Review: University of Nicosia Press. Vol. 22, No. 1., 153-167.
- “Decomposition of economic growth by industry” (2010) (with Stanislav Ivanov). Journal of Economic Studies. Vol. 37, No. 2, pp. 219-229. Emerald Group Publishing.
- “The Refugee Experience and Perceptions of Cooperation with Turkish Cypriots: Evidence from Greek Cypriot Tourism Professionals.” (2009) (with Bernard Musyck, Stelios Orphanides and David Jacobson). European Planning Studies. Vol 17, No. 10, pp. 1485-1508. Routledge.
- “Religiosity and Social Values of the Cypriots” (2009) (with Birol Yeşilada and Peter Noordijk) Social Compass. Vol. 56, No. 1, pp. 15-34. Sage Journals.
- “The Welfare State and Depression”. In-Depth. (2009) Vol. 6, Issue 3. *”Democratization and Human Rights in Cyprus: Objective Measures and the Populations’ Perceptions”. (2008) Southeast European and Black Sea Studies. Vol. 8, No1, pp. 33-49. Routledge: Taylor Francis Group.
- “Tourism in Borderlands—Multiaspect Study of Development” (Book Review) (2008) European Journal of Tourism Research. Vol. 1, Issue 1, pp. 53-54. World Research Organization.
- “Cyprus and its Responsibility Towards the World’s Poor” (Commentary Article) (2007). Cyprus Review Vol. 19, No 2, pp. 129-134. Intercollege.
- “Power Politics and Integration into Western Institutions: The Placement of Embassies for Romania and Bulgaria” with Stanislav Ivanov. Journal of Southern Europe and the Balkans. (2008) Vol. 10, No.1, pp.1-14. Routledge: Taylor Francis Group.
- “Croatian, Slovak, and Czech National Tourism Organizations: Measuring the Results of Promotion Abroad” (2007) with Stanislav Ivanov. Tourism Vol. 55, No1, pp.65-90.
- “Placement of Romanian and Bulgarian Embassies: EU Aspirations and Communist Legacy” (2007) with Stanislav Ivanov. South-Eastern Europe Journal of Economics Vol. 1, pp. 103-120. Association of South-Eastern Europe Economic Universities.
- “Measuring the Impact of Tourism on Economic Growth.” (2007) with Stanislav Ivanov. Tourism Economics. Vol. 13, No 3, pp 379-388. IP Publishing.
- “Who Supported the Annan Plan? An Exploratory Statistical Analysis of the Demographic, Political, and Attitudinal Correlates” (2006) with Alexandros Lordos. Cyprus Review Vol. 18, No1, pp. 13-35. Intercollege.
- “The Correlates of Vacationing: Greek Cypriots and their Vacationing Habits” (2006) Tourismos. Vol 1, No 2, pp43-58. University of the Aegean.
- “International Dialogue: Global, European, National and Multicultural Dimensions of Tourism” (Book Review) (2006) Tourismos. Vol.1, No. 1, pp.123-125. University of the Aegean.
- “Tourism and Recreation in the Process of European Integration.” (Book Review) (2005) Tourism Today, Vol. 5, pp. 165-167.
- “Travelling to the ‘Other Side’: the Occupied Zone and Greek Cypriot Views on Crossing the Green Line.” (2006) with Dallen Timothy. Tourism Geographies. Vol. 8, pp. 163-181, Routledge: Taylor Francis Group.
- “Greek Cypriot Perspectives on Interacting with Turkish Cypriots” (2005) Cyprus Review. Vol. 17, No. 1, pp.79-92, Intercollege.
- “Division or Unification in Cyprus? The Role of Demographics, Attitudes, and Party Inclination on Greek Cypriot Preferences for a Solution to the Cyprus Problem.” (2005) Ethnopolitics. Volume 4, No 2, pp.299-309, Routledge: Taylor Francis Group.
- “The Cyprus Problem and Greek Cypriot Preferences for a Solution after their ‘No’ to the Annan Plan.” (2005) Peace and Conflict Studies. Volume 12, No 1, pp. 40-54.
- “Cyprus’ Exports: the Impact of Tourism.” (2002) Anatolia Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 63-71.
- “Economic Development and Recreation: The Development of Leisure in Cyprus.” (2001) Tourism Today. Vol. 1. No.1, pp.56-70.
- “Commonwealth Diplomatic Missions: a Comparative Empirical Investigation of the Foreign Policy of Five Commonwealth Members.” (2001) The Round Table: the Commonwealth Journal of International Affairs. Issue 361, pp.529-539. Carfax Publishing.
- “The Placement of Canada’s Embassies: Driven by Realpolitik or the Domestic Political Debate.” (2001) Peace Research: The Canadian Journal of Peace Studies, Volume 33, No 1, pp. 125-133.
- “The Placement of Cyprus’ Embassies: the Influence of Realpolitik and Culture.” (2001) Cyprus Review. Volume 13, Issue 1, pp.103-113, Intercollege.
- “Characterizing the Locations of CTO Offices Abroad: Empirical Research Findings.” (2001) Journal of Business and Society, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 32-40.
- “Cyprus Tourism: Measuring the Impact of Promotion.” (2000) Journal of Business and Society. Vol. 13, No. 1 and 2, pp. 83-91.
- “Canada’s Human Rights Policy and its Impact on Foreign Assistance Allocation.” (2000) Peace Research: The Canadian Journal of Peace Studies. Volume 32, No 4, pp. 85-97.
- “New Books on Human Rights.” (1997-1998) Developmental Policy Studies Volume 3, Issue 4, pp. 39-40.
- “Human Rights and Developing Countries.” (1996) with David Cingranelli. Developmental Policy Studies Volume 2, Issue 4, pp. 3-9.
- “NTOs and State Policy: The Paradigms of Political Economy and Institutional Response to Tourism in Time of Crisis.” With Stanislav Ivanov and Steve Illum. For the Conference: “ICTDM 2009: International Conference on Tourism Development and Management.” Kos, Greece. 11-14 September, 2009. pp. 497-500.
- “Political Economy and Tourism Policy: NTOs and State Policy” With Stanislav Ivanov and Steve Illum. For the Conference: “Tourism amidst a Global Crisis.” Nicosia, Cyprus, 23 March 2009.
- “Settlement of the Cyprus conflict and the Greek Cypriot tourism industry” proceedings of the International Tourism Conference 2008, “Cultural and Event Tourism: Issues & Debates”, with Jacobson, D, Musyck, B, Webster, C, and Orphanides, S, pages 817-846, ISBN 978-9944-223-73-7 Alanya, Turkey, 5-9 November, 2008
- “Marketing the Bulgarian Tourism Product—the Economic Geography of Long-term and Short-term Investments.” With Stanislav Ivanov. Geotour 2008: Geotourism and Mining Heritage. Krakow, Poland, 26-28 June 2008.
- “Measuring the Impact of Promotion: the Effects of Croatian, Czech and Slovak State Promotion of Tourism Abroad.” With Stanislav Ivanov. Geotour 2006: Perspectives of Rural Tourism in the New Europe. Kosice, Slovakia, 5-7 October 2006. “Measuring the Impact of Tourism on Economic Growth.” With Stanislav Ivanov. Geotour 2006: Perspectives of Rural Tourism in the New Europe. Kosice, Slovakia, 5-7 October 2006.
- “Greek Cypriots and their Vacationing Habits: The Evolution of European Vacation Habits” Paper presented at the Conference “EUROPEAN PRACTICES INTERNATIONAL SCIENCE CONFERENCE, 24-25 NOVEMBER 2005. International College – Albena, Dobrich, Bulgaria
- “Who Crosses the Green Line: an Econometric Analysis of Greek Cypriot Visitors to the Occupied Areas of Cyprus.” Paper presented at GEOTOUR 2004—Geotourism in Carpathian Region. Herľany, Slovakia 21 – 22 October 2004.
- “Optimism and Pessimism Regarding Interacting with Turkish Cypriots: Greek Cypriot Public Opinion and its Implications for Reconciliation in Cyprus.” Paper presented at the Third International Symposium on Management in the Non-Profit Sector ‘The Role of Civil Society Organizations in Achieving Participatory Democracy and Reconciliation’. 25-26 February 2005, in northern Nicosia, Cyprus.
- “Internships and the Hospitality Student: Insights from Students, Educators, and Hospitality Professionals” With Anastasios Zopiatis. Paper presented at GEOTOUR 2003—Geotourism in Carpathian Region. Herľany, Slovakia 30 – 31 October 2003.