Dr. Ronald Movrich, Ph.D., J.D., holds the position of Professor of Business Law & International Business at UGSM-Monarch Business School. He holds a Ph.D. from the University of California-Berkeley and a J.D. (Juris Doctor) from the University of California-Davis. Dr. Movrich also holds a M.A. degree in History from the University of California-Berkeley and a B.A. in History from the University of Wisconsin at Madison.
Dr. Movrich has extensive experience in International Business having spent much of his career in Thailand, Vietnam and Japan. Dr. Movrich has been called to the Bar in the State of Hawaii, The United States District Court for the 9th Circuit and the Court of Appeals of the 9th Circuit. He has extensive teaching experience at the graduate level and was the Founding Director of the Global Business Program at Akita International University in Japan. He is the recipient of many honours and awards including the Rockefeller Archive Grant as well as being a Ford Foundation Special Fellow.
Dr. Movrich’s areas of academic interest include: international business & international business law; international education and human rights. He has also held the position of English Language Editor for the Dhurakijpundit University Law Review. His personal interest include: tennis, swimming, jazz, classical and opera music and photography.
Academic Positions Held
- Professor of Business Law, UGSM-Monarch Business School
- Professor & Founding Director, Global Business Program, Akita International University, Akita, Japan
- Professor, Bangkok School of Management
- Professor of Law, Dhurakijpundit University, Bangkok
- Professor of Law and Head of MBA Program, Webster University, Thailand
- Visiting Professor of Law, Swiss-Asian Institute of Technology, Ho CHin Minh City, Vietnam
- Ph.D. in Education, University of California, Berkeley
- J.D. (Juris Doctor), University of California, Davis
- M.A. in History, University of California, Berkeley
- B.A. in History, University of Wisconsin, Madison
- Certificate in Human Rights Law, Europa Universitat Viadrina, Frankfurt, Germany
- Licensed Member of the Bar, Hawaii State Bar Association, USA
- Licensed Member of the Bar, United States District Court for the 9th Circuit, USA
- Licensed Member of the Bar, Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit, USA
Awards And Honors
- Editor-in-Chief, “What’s on in Saigon Magazine”
- English Language Editor, “Dhurakijpundit University Law Review”
- Research Grant, Japan Foundation for Akita International University, 2005
- Faculty Research Grant, Akita International University, Japan, 2004
- Faculty Research Grant, School of Law, Dhurakijpundit University, Bangkok, 2001
- Hawaii State Bar Award for Pro Bono work
- Rockefeller Archive Center Grant for Research, University of California Berkeley
- Ford Foundation Special Career Fellow, University of California Berkeley
- Leadership Scholarship, University of Wisconsin, Madison
- Kemper K. Knapp Scholarship, University of Wisconsin, Madison
Main Academic Interests
- International Business
- Business & International Law
- International Education / Global Studies
- Human Rights
Professional Positions Held In The Past
- Legal and Educational Consultant, Bangkok, Thailand
- Vietnam Country Head for The Swiss Fund
- Court Appointed Arbitrator, Judiciary of Hawaii
- Attorney, Edmunds, Verga & Van Etten, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Attorney, McKenzie, Trecker & Fritz, Honolulu, Hawaii
Associations And Memberships
- Member, ACBSP-Accreditation Council For Business Schools & Programs, USA
- Member, ECBE-European Council For Business Education, Switzerland
- Law and Society Organization
- Hawaii State Bar Association License #4001
- Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand
- Amnesty International
- Wisconsin Alumni Association
- Basic Thai
- Basic Vietnamese
Selected and Recent Publications
- “The Relationship between Professional Studies and Global Studies” in Conference Proceedings, “Building an Innovative University for the Globalized World” published by Akita International University, Akita, Japan, (2006).
- “A New International University for the Global Age: Akita International University, Japan, A Case Study,” Paper presented at Eracon Conference (hosted by Intercollege, Cyprus) in Nicosia, Cyprus, 4 June, 2005. Publication in IPSI Conference Proceedings (below).
- Michelle.Smith@nelsonmullins.com.Paper presented at IPSI Conference in Amalfi, Italy, February 17-20, 2005 and published in the conference proceedings.
- “How to Conduct Legal Study Using Research and the Internet” (2002) in Thailand Law Forum an Online Journal for Law found at: http://www.thailawforum.com/articles/internet-movrich.
- “Legal Research and Study Using the Internet,” Dhurakijpundit University Law Journal (2001) at 117-131. Shows how the internet can be of major benefit to conduct legal research and study.
- “The Reliability of Thai Law: A Foreigner’s Perspective,” Dhurakijpundit University Law Bulletin, September 2000 at 19.
- Before the Gates of Excellence: Abraham Flexner and Education, 1866-1918 (Ph.D. Thesis: University of California, Berkeley, 1981). A biographical study of the man who founded the Institute for Advanced Studies at Princeton and brought Albert Einstein to America.
- “The New British Universities,” in The Educational Forum (March, 1977), pp. 351-358.
- “The Foundation and Growth of the New British Universities,” in Western European Education, 1975, pp. 3-29. An examination of Britain’s new universities.
Conferences, Speeches and Projects
- Conference Participant, Council on International Educational Exchange, Seville, Spain, November, 2006
- Chairman of Session on “Global Studies and Professional Education” at international conference, “Building an Innovative University for the Globalized World” Akita International University, Akita, Japan, October 15-17, 2005. Also, served as one of the chief organizers for this conference and wrote the successful grant application to Japan Foundation for funding for this conference.
- Presented paper at Eracon Erasmus Coordinators Conference 2005 and Go-Educational Fair, 1-5 June 2005, Nicosia, Cyprus. Paper was entitled “An International University for the Global Age: Akita International University, Japan, A Case Study.”
- Presented paper at the IPSI (International Conference on Advances in the Internet, Processing, Systems, and Interdisciplinary Research,” Amalfi, Italy, February 17-20, 2005.
- Invited Conference Participant and Discussant, “Law and Justice in the XXIst Century,” University of Coimbra, Coimbra, Portugal. May 29-31, 2003.
- Invited Guest Lecturer, Bangkok University, International Program, April 8th, 2003. Gave lecture on Human Rights to International Program.
- Invited Guest, “Minoru Shikita and his Four Decades of Commitment towards World Peace and Asian Crime Prevention”, sponsored by Judiciary of Thailand and the Asia Crime Prevention Foundation, held at Shangri La Hotel, Bangkok, Thailand, 22 November 2002.
- Invited Participant, KPI Congress IV, “Five Years of Political Reform Under the New Constitution” held by the King Prajadhipok’s Institute (a research group of the Thai government) at the United Nations Conference Center, Bangkok, 8-10 November 2002.
- Speaker on topic, “How to Use the Internet for Legal Help and Information” and Project Director for seminar, “Legal Guidance for Foreigners: Investing, Working and Living in Thailand” sponsored by Faculty of Law, DPU, held at the Grand Hyatt Erawan, Bangkok, Thailand, 1-2 November, 2002.
- Summer Course, Intensive Program in Human Rights, Europa Universitat Viadrina, Frankfurt/Oder, Germany, September, 2002. Sponsored by the European Union.
- Invited Conference Participant, “APEC Workshop on E-Commerce” sponsored by NECTEC, Siam Intercontinental Hotel, Bangkok, Thailand, June, 2002.
- Asian Partnership Initiative Forum sponsored by the University of Wisconsin Alumni Association. This forum focused on cooperation between international educational institutions (especially Asian universities), educational planning and educational leadership. The forum was held at the Marriott Riverside Hotel, Bangkok, January 21, 2002.
- Conference participant, “Human Rights in Asean: Progress and Prospects” 18 January 2002. Held in Bangkok, Thailand and sponsored by the Canadian International Development Agency through the Southeast Asia Fund for Institutional and Legal Development.
- Seminar participant, “Signs of Change: Human Rights in Asia” held at the Foreign Correspondent’s Club, Bangkok, Thailand, 17 January 2002.
- Chair of Session on “Intellectual Property and Computer Law,” Law & Society International Conference in Budapest, Hungary, July 4-8, 2001.
- Presented paper, “Legal Research and study Using the Internet” at the Law & Society International Conference in Budapest, Hungary, July 7, 2001.
- Project Director legal seminar hosted by the Faculty of Law, Dhurakijpundit University: “Legal Guidance for Foreigners: Living and Investing in Thailand,” Bangkok, Thailand, 2-3 November, 2001 at the Plaza Athenee Hotel, Bangkok.
- Conference Participant, “The 3rd Symposium on Current Issues in Intellectual Property Law, Trade and Dispute Resolution” organized by The Central Intellectual Property and International Trade Court of Thailand, 30 November-1 December 2000, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Project Team member for two-day legal seminar: “Legal Guidance for Foreigners: Investing and Living in Thailand,” at the Regent Bangkok Hotel, 25-26 November 2000.
- Conference Participant, “Asia 2000” a four-day conference in educational administration, research, and leadership sponsored by the University of Wisconsin, Madison and held 16-19 November, 2000. Le Royale Meridien Hotel, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Chaired Session and commented on papers at “First Asia-Pacific Conference on Cyberlaw,” Putraja, Malaysia, 8-9 November 1999, conference sponsored by Universiti Multimedia Telekom, Malaysia.
- Participant in “Conference on Dispute Settlement in Vietnam”, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, April 26-27, 1999, conference sponsored by Vietnamese Ministry of Justice and the European Commission.
- Invited Participant in “Computer Outsourcing and IT Conference”, 2-4 March, 19998, at Oriental Hotel, Singapore, conference sponsored by Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy, an international law firm and EDS.