Dr. Jacob Eisenberg, Ph.D. holds the position of Adjunct Professor of Organizational Behavior as well as holding the position as Senior Lecturer at the UCD Smurfit Graduate School of Business in Dublin, Ireland. Dr. Eisenberg earned his PhD in Social/Organizational Psychology at Colorado State University in 2001. His research and teaching interests are primarily in areas related to Organizational Behavior and Cross Cultural Management.
Dr. Eisenberg has presented in many international conferences, including the Annual Academy of Management meetings, and his research has appeared in several journals including Creativity Research Journal, Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, Human Performance and Journal of Management Information Systems. He has worked on training and consulting projects with both public and private organizations, including IBM, the UN and NAGPS.
Professor Eisenberg is also an enthusiastic teacher and has lectured in several countries, including Israel, Canada, USA, Hong Kong, Singapore and Cyprus. His achievements as a lecturer were recognised when he received in 2007 the Annual School of Business Best Graduate Teaching Award.
An active member of the Academy of Management, Dr. Eisenberg served for three years as the chair of the Dexter Best International Paper Award Committee and in 2007 was appointed by the President of the Academy as Chair of the All-Academy International Theme Committee (ITC). This year, Jacob was elected to be the next leader of the Management Education & Development Division (MED), one of Academy’s ten largest divisions with nearly 2,000 members. He will serve as Chair of the MED Division in the fourth year (2013 – 2014) of the five-year term, which starts with the PDW Chair role.
Dr. Eisenberg also recently served as the Academic Director of the prestigious CEMS Masters in International Management program at UCD and is currently the Chair of the Cross-Cultural Management Faculty Group at the CEMS Global Alliance (ranked 1st in the recent Financial Times survey of Masters programs).
Academic Positions Held
- Professor of Organizational Behavior, UGSM-Monarch Business School
- Tenured Senior Lecturer, UCD Graduate School of Business, University College Dublin, Ireland
- Academic Director, M.Sc. Business Program, UCD Graduate School of Business, University College Dublin, Ireland
- Visiting Research Scholar, Davidson Faculty of Industrial Engineering and Business Administration. The Technion, Israel
- Visiting Professor, CEMS MIM, Cross-cultural Management Seminar, Copenhagen Business School, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Global Capital Chair Assistant Professor of Organizational Behavior, Cyprus International Institute of Management, Nicosia, Cyprus
- Ph. D. Organizational Psychology, Colorado State University
- M.A. Psychology, York University, Toronto, Canada
- B. A. (Hons) Psychology, University of Haifa, Israel
Awards And Honors
- Reviewer: Academy of Management Journal, Academy of Management Learning & Education, Applied Psychology: An International Review, Group & Org Management, International Studies of Management & Organization, Irish Journal of Management, Journal of Applied Social Psychology, Journal of Business Research, Journal or Organizational Behavior, Journal of Creativity Research, Journal of Cross-Cultural Management, Journal of International Business Studies (JIBS), Journal of Managerial Psychology, Journal of Organizational Behavior, Journal of Organisational Change Management, Qualitative Research in Accounting and Management, Journal of Small Group Research, Transactions on Advance Research
- UCD School of Business Best Graduate Teaching Award, 2007
- Global Capital Chair in Organizational Behavior, CIIM, 2001
- IRCHSS Research Development Initiative (RDI) grant
- IRCHSS Postgraduate Research Fellowship, 2009
- Research Grant, UCD Research, University College Dublin, 2009 •
Main Academic Interests
- Organizational behavior
- Human resources
- Cross-cultural management
- Organization Multiple Identifications
Associations And Memberships
- Member, ACBSP-Accreditation Council For Business Schools & Programs, USA
- Member, ECBE-European Council For Business Education, Switzerland
- Editorial Board, Academy of Management Learning & Education Journal (AMLE)
- Editorial Board, Journal of Applied Social Psychology
- Editorial Board, European Journal of Cross Cultural Competence & Management
- Eisenberg, J. (2009). Manager’s Workshop: The Fundamental Attribution Error. In Daft, R. L., Marcic, D., Bradford, R. And Stevens, H. Understanding Management, 397-398. Toronto, Ontario, Canada: Nelson Education.
- Eisenberg, J. (2007). Group Cohesiveness. In R. F. Baumeister & K. D. Vohs (Eds.), Encyclopaedia of Social Psychology, 386-388. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. • James, K. & Eisenberg, J. (2007). Culture and Creativity in Organizations: An Integration of Commonalities, Divergences, and Level. In A-G. Tan (Ed.) Creativity: A Handbook for Teachers. Singapore: World Scientific Publishing Company.
- Eisenberg, J. & James, K. (2005). The Relationship between Affect and Creativity in Organizations: The Roles of Affect Characteristics, Neuro-cognitive Mechanisms, and task Type. In Ashkanasy, N. M., Zerbe, W. J. & Hartel, C. E. J. (Eds.) Research on Emotion in Organizations, Volume 1: The Effect of Affect in Organizational Settings. Oxford, UK: Elsevier.
Under Review Or Revision
- James, K. & Eisenberg, J. Contextual Personal and Group Identity: Implications for Creative and Non-Creative Performance in the Workplace.
- Eisenberg, J. Effects of Performance Contingent and Performance Non-Contingent Rewards on Project Team members’ Task Motivation.
- Eisenberg, J. & James, K. The effects of Individualism-Collectivism and group vs. individual comparison on self- and group-targeted creative problem solving.
- Eisenberg, J. Effects of Situational and Dispositional Motivation on Experiential Learning in Management Courses.
- Eisenberg, J. Effects of Individualism-Collectivism and Task Interdependence on Team Climate for Innovation and Creativity.
Selected and Recent Publications
- Moyano, J.; Bruque, S. & Eisenberg, J. (2008). Individual Adaptation to IT-Induced Change: The Role of Social Networks. Journal of Management Information Systems, 25, 177-206.
- Lievens, F., Anseel, F., Harris, M. M. & Eisenberg, J. (2007). Measurement Invariance of the Pay Satisfaction Questionnaire across Three Countries. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 67, 1042-1051.
- Eisenberg, J. & Russell, B. (2007). Affect and Spirituality at Work: Guest Editors’ Introduction (Special Issue Editorial). Journal of Management, Spirituality, & Religion, 4 (2), 133-137.
- Moyano, J.; Bruque, S. & Eisenberg, J. (2007). La influencia de las redes sociales en la adaptación de los trabajadores al cambio tecnológico. Cuadernos de Dirección y Economía de la Empresa (Journal of Economics and Management), 31, 145-168. • Carmel, E. & Eisenberg, J. (2006). Narratives that Software Nations Tell Themselves: An Exploration and Taxonomy. Communications of the Association for Information Systems, 17, 851-872.
- Eisenberg, J. (2004). To Cheat or Not to Cheat: Effects of Moral Perspective and Situational Variables on Students’ Attitudes. Journal of Moral Education, 33, 163-178.
- James, K., Brodersen, M. & Eisenberg, J. (2004). Workplace Affect and Workplace Creativity: A Review and Preliminary Model. Human Performance, 17, 169-194.
- James, K. & Eisenberg, J. (2004). Personal Identity and Group Identity Influences on Algorithmic and Original Task Performance. Creativity Research Journal, 16, 91-104.
- Eisenberg, J. & Thompson, F. W. (2003). A Matter of Taste: Evaluating Improvised Music. Creativity Research Journal, 15, 287-296.
- Eisenberg, J. (1999). How Individualism-Collectivism Moderates the Effects of Rewards and Appraisal on Creativity and Innovation: A Comparative Review of Practices in Japan and the US. Creativity & Innovation Management Journal, 8, 251-261.
- Lay, C., Fairlie, P., Jackson, S., Ricci, T., Eisenberg, J., Sato, T., Teeaar, A. & Melamud, A. (1998). Domain-Specific Allocentrism-Idiocentrism: A Measure of Family Connectedness. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 29, 434-460.
Papers Presented At Conferences
- Russell, B & Eisenberg, J. (2010, August). The Role of Cognition and Attitude in Driving Behavior: Elaborating on Affective Events Theory. A paper presented at the Bi-Annual EMONET Meeting, Montreal, Canada.
- Evans, J & Eisenberg, J. (2009, August). A New Route from Social Identification to Social Capital Incorporating the Self. A paper presented at the Annual Academy of Management Meeting, Chicago, USA
- Russell, B & Eisenberg, J. (2009, August). Antecedents and Consequences of Emotions and Cognition in Negotiation. A paper presented at the Annual Academy of Management Meeting, Chicago, USA
- Eisenberg, J, Pieczonka, A. & Eisenring, M. (2009, June). Evaluating the Effectiveness of Expatriate Managers’ Leadership Style in Poland. A paper presented at the 8th Annual IACCM conference, Vienna, Austria.
- Reiter-Palmon, R., James, K., Eisenberg, J., Herman, A., James, J., Yurkovich, J. & Young, M. (2008, August). Creativity and Affect: A Meta-Analysis and Qualitative Review. A paper presented at the Annual Academy of Management Meeting, Anehaeim, USA.
- Yang, I. & Eisenberg, J. (2007, August). Korean Organizations in Affective Perspective. A paper presented at the Annual Academy of Management Meeting, Philadelphia, USA.
- Yang, I., Kelly, A. & Eisenberg, J. (2007, August). The Positive Effect of Sharing Negative Emotions. A paper presented at the Annual Academy of Management Meeting, Philadelphia, USA.
- Bruque, S., Moyano, J. & Eisenberg, J. (2006, August). The Effects of Social Networks on Workers’ Adaptation to a Major Technology Change. A paper presented at the Annual Academy of Management Meeting, Atlanta, USA.
- Eisenberg J & James, K. (2006, August). Multilevel Identity Implications for Creative Performance in the Workplace. In K. James (Chair), “Multilevel Issues in Creativity Research”. Symposium conducted at the Annual Academy of Management Meeting, Atlanta, USA.
- Stavrou-Costea, E., Eisenberg, J. & Charalambous, C. (2006, July). Mapping Cyprus’ Cultural Dimensions: Comparing Hofstede’s and Schwartz’s Values Frameworks. A paper presented at the 18th International Congress of the International Association for Cross-Cultural Psychology, Spetses, Greece.
- Eisenberg, J & Sabharwal, P. (2005, September). The Influence of Organizational Changes on Multiple Organizational Identifications. A paper presented at the Irish Academy of Management 8th Annual Conference, Galway, Ireland.
- Carmel, E. & Eisenberg, J. (2005, July). National IT Myths. A paper presented at the International Conference on Information Science, Technology and Management, Management Development Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Eisenberg J. (2004, August). When a Native-American Professor Meets an Israeli Student: Transcending Cultural Differences in Academic Advising. A paper presented at the PDW “Mentoring and Coaching across Social-Cultural Boundaries: Integrating Knowledge and Practice”. Annual Academy of Management Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.
- Eisenberg, J. & Sabharwal, P. (2004, July). The Influence of Organizational Changes on the Salience of Multiple Organizational Identities. A paper presented at the EGOS 20th Colloquium, Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- Eisenberg, J. & James, K. (2004, June). Workplace Affect and Workplace Creativity: A Review and a Model Integrating Mediators and Moderators. A paper presented at the Fourth International Conference on Emotions and Organizational Life, London, England.
- Eisenberg, J. & James, K. (2003, August). Effects of Dispositional Identity and Situational Identity on Idea Generation. A poster presented in the Annual American Psychological Association Convention, Toronto, Canada.
- Eisenberg, J. (2003, August). Surface- and Deep-Level Diversity Effects on Project Teams’ Social Integration and Creativity. In K. James (Chair), “Creativity and Democracy in Diverse Work Groups”. Symposium conducted at the Annual Academy of Management Meeting, Seattle, Washington, USA.
- Eisenberg J. (2003, August). Back to Where? The Non-Linear Re-entry Process into the US Academic Job Market. A paper presented at the PDW “U.S. Trained Educators Working Overseas: A Diversity Of Experiences, Reflections And Advice”. Annual Academy of Management Meeting, Seattle, Washington, USA.
- Eisenberg, J. (2003, June). Harmonizing HRM: The Potential Impact of the EU Accession on Human Resource Management Practices in Cyprus. A paper presented at the Conference on Human Development in EU Accession Countries, Stockholm School of Economics, Riga, Latvia.
- Eisenberg, J. (2003, May). The Effects of the Interaction between Group Cohesiveness and Type of Rewards on Creative Performance in Simulated Project Teams. Paper presented at the 11th European Congress on Work & Organizational Psychology, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Eisenberg, J. (2002, July). Does Individual Motivation and Creativity Predict Group Creative Performance? Yes, But with Some Surprises. Paper presented at the International WAM Meeting, Lima, Peru [Finalist for Best Paper Award].
- Eisenberg, J. (2002, January). Developing Cohesiveness and Team-Climate Measures for Simulated Work Teams. Poster presented at the SPSP Annual Meeting, Savannah, Georgia.