Dr. Jamie Chua holds the position of Professor of Management & Economics at Monarch Business School Switzerland. He is also an adjunct professor of Political Economy at the University of San Francisco in California, USA where he teaches a graduate course on Comparative Political Economy of Economic Growth in East Asia at the University’s Center for the Pacific Rim.
Dr. Chua holds a Doctor of Management degree with fields in institutional and regulatory economics from Case Western Reserve University’s Weatherhead School of Management USA; a Post-Graduate Certificate in Advanced Policy and Program Evaluation from Claremont Graduate University USA; Masters in Applied Business Economics from the University of Asia and the Pacific Philippines; and Bachelor of Science in Commerce major in Economics and Accounting from Far Eastern University Philippines.
Dr. Jaime Chua has more than twenty years of comprehensive professional experience in international development. He is currently The Asia Foundation’s senior director for Public Sector Development Services. He also co-chairs The Foundation Evaluation Task Force. His work history includes ten years at Agricultural Cooperative Development International, a global agricultural and economic development firm based in Washington D.C. where he served as regional representative for Asia, and country director for the Philippines, Mongolia, Cambodia, and Indonesia. He was a senior economist for local settlement program at UNHCR, and chief financial officer of the Philippines National Council on Integrated Area Development.
Academic Positions Held
- Professor of Management & Economics, Monarch Business School, Switzerland
- Adjunct Professor, University of San Fransisco, USA
- Doctor of Management, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
- Post-Graduate Certificate, Advanced Policy, Claremont Graduate University, California, USA
- Master of Economics, Monarch Business School, Switzerland
- Master Applied Economics, University of Asia and Pacific, Philippines
- B.Sc. Commerce Economics & Accounting, Far Eastern University, Philippines
Awards And Honors
- Mandel Center Fellow, 2007 to 2010, Weatherhead School of Management, Case Western Reserve University, USA
- Certified Public Accountant
Main Academic Interests
- Organizational and business development strategies in international development context
- Competitiveness and business regulations reform
- Comparative and regional economic growth
- Qualitative research methodologies with emphasis on case studies, qualitative comparative analysis, and organizational ethnography
- Quantitative research methodologies with emphasis on econometrics, structural equation models, latent variable modelling, and spatial models
Professional Positions Held
- Senior Director, Public Sector Business Development, The Asia Foundation, USA
- Associate Programs Director, The Asia Foundation, USA
- Regional Representative, Agricultural Cooperative Development International (ACDI)
- Country Director, Agricultural Cooperative Development International (ACDI), for the Philippines, Indonesia, Mongolia, and Cambodia
- Senior Economist for Local Settlement Program, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- Chief Financial Officer, National Council on Integrated Area Development Philippines
Associations And Memberships
- Member, ACBSP-Accreditation Council For Business Schools & Programs, USA
- Member, ECBE-European Council For Business Education, Switzerland
- ODLAA, Member of the Open and Distance Learning Association of Australia
Selected and Recent Publications
- Ostensive and Performative Strategies for Organizational Adaptation and Innovation in International Development, An Integrative Dissertation Requirement of the Doctor of Management degree, Case Western Reserve University’s Weatherhead School of Management, February 2010.
- Government Leadership- Business Voice: An Interaction and Mediation Analysis of Business Regulations Reform in Indonesia, A Quantitative Research Paper, Case Western Reserve University’s Weatherhead School of Management, May 2009.
- Strategizing Routines on the Cusp of Multiple and Conflicting Institutional Logics in Foreign AID- A Qualitative Research Paper, Case Western Reserve University’s Weatherhead School of Management, April 2008.
- Shifting Gear from Logical Framework to Theory-Driven Evaluation: A Descriptive Study of Techno-Structural and Behavioral Change Management, Division of Behavioral and Organizational Sciences, Claremont Graduate University, December 2005.