Dr. Christos Antoniou holds the position of Member of The Academic Council of Monarch Business School, Professor of Tourism Studies and Entrepreneurship as well as Dean of the Greek MBA program. He is also the ESRC/FME Fellow in International Business at The Centre For International Business of the University of Leeds. Dr. Antoniou holds a Ph.D. from The University of Bradford (U.K.) as well as a M.A. in Entrepreneurship and Competitive Strategy from The University of Reading (U.K.). Dr. Antoniou has extensive experience in the private tourism industry that spans several decades as well as professional experience in real estate development.
His research interests include managerial practices in International Business with a focus on Southeastern Europe, and especially the Economics of corruption. Dr. Antoniou is an active lecturer across Southern Europe and the Mediterranean. He also holds the position of Academic Director of Athens Metropolitan College.
Academic Positions Held
- Member of the Academic Council, UGSM-Monarch Business School, Switzerland
- Dean of the Greek MBA Program, UGSM-Monarch Business School, Athens, Greece
- Professor of Tourism Studies, UGSM-Monarch Business School, Switzerland
- Co-Director, MCRES-Monarch Center For Real Estate Studies, Switzerland
- Fellow in International Business, Centre For International Business, University of Leeds, UK
- Academic Director, Athens Metropolitan College, Greece
- Ph.D., University of Bradford, U.K.
- M.A. in Entrepreneurship & Strategy, University of Reading, U.K.
- B.A. in Economics, University of Athens, Greece
Awards And Honors
- Associate Editor, The Monarch Management Review
- Member of the Board of Directors, Association of Greek Tourist Enterprises
- Member of the Supervisory Board (Audsichtsrat) Lufthansa City Center Reisebueropartner GMBH
- Lecturer, Economic University of Pireus
- Lecturer, Witten/Herdecke University, Germany
- Lecturer, Center for Professional Training, Athens, Greece
- Lecturer, City University of Seattle, Athens, Greece
Main Academic Interests
- Qualitative Research Methods
- International Business
- The Economics of Corruption
- Tourism and Leisure Studies
- Cross Cultural Management
- Social Anthropology
- Member, ACBSP-Accreditation Council For Business Schools & Programs, USA
- Member, ECBE-European Council For Business Education, Switzerland
- Member of the Academy of International Business
- Member of the European International Business Academy
- Member of the British Academy of Management
Professional Positions Held In The Past
- Managing Director-Athenian Real Estate Investments, S.A.
- Executive Vice President-Plotin Touristic, S.A.
- Chris Manion “An Investigation into the Questionable Failure of the Chinese Communist Party Automotive Industry Policies”-2009
- Olawaseun Aiyeni “The Impact of Offensive Diversification Strategy on Growth and Profitability of an Organization: (A Case Study of Tesco PLC) – 2009
- Rajesh Gundala “Economic Development of OECD Member Countries: A Comparative and Empirical Study -2009
- Tatiana Frantseva “Expanding brands to new geographical markets: Failure and Success of ‘Axe’ in Russia” – 2009
- Tushar Chopda “Mergers and Acquisitions In India And How They Have Helped Indian Firms To Expand In India And Internationally” – 2009
Selected and Recent Publications
- Antoniou, Christos “National Culture and Culture-Meeting in the European Business Scene: an Ethnography of the Fine Detail” Paper presented at the annual European International Business Academy Conference, Warsaw, December 1994
- Antoniou, Christos “Duality as a Way of Life: International Business Through the Looking Glass” Paper presented at the annual Academy of International Business Conference, Banff, Canada, September 1996
- Antoniou, Christos “Problems in the Design and Administration of Multilingual Questionnaires in International Business Research: a Case” Paper presented at the Workshop on Cross Cultural Perspectives: Comparative Management and Organization, Henley, November 1996
- Antoniou, Christos “Religion in Business: a Greek Example” Paper presented at the annual Academy of International Business U.K. Chapter Conference, Leeds, April 1997
- Antoniou, Christos “Male Perceptions of the Greek Versus non-Greek Female Managers in the Greek Business Context” Paper presented at the Workshop on Cross Cultural Perspectives: Comparative Management and Organization, Henley, 20-22 June 1997
- Antoniou, Christos “Uncertainty Avoidance in Greece: an Ethnographic Illustration” in Buckley, Peter; Burton, Fred and Mirza, Hafiz (eds.) 1998, The Strategy and Organization of International Business London: Macmillan
- Antoniou, Christos “Geography and Symbolism – Symbolic Geographies” Paper presented at the Academy of International Business annual Conference, San Juan, Puerto Rico, June 28– July 1st, 2002.
- Antoniou, Christos “Gifts, favours, Trust and Transaction Costs in Greek Business” Paper presented at the Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Seattle, 1-6 August 2003
- Antoniou, Christos “The ethnographic International Business Researcher: Misfit or Trailblazer?” also with Hanna Gajewska-De Mattos in Marschan-Piekkari, Rebecca and Welch, Catherine (eds.) 2004, Handbook of Qualitative Research Methods for International Business: Edward Elgar
- Antoniou, Christos “On the Merits of the Use of Qualitative Methods in the Research of International Business: the Case of Corruption” Paper presented at the Academy of International Business annual Conference, San Diego, U.S.A., June 29– July 3rd , 2009.
- Antoniou, Christos “What is Etic and Emic in International Business” Paper presented at the annual European International Business Academy Conference, Valencia, December 2009
- Antoniou, Christos “Ethnography Meets Management: Fictive Kinship and a Greek Example” British Journal of Management (forthcoming)
- Antoniou, Christos “The Societal Dimension” and “Cross-Cultural Management Strategies” chapters in ‘International Business: a Global Factory Approach’ by Peter Buckley, Adam Cross et. al., (forthcoming, 2011) textbook for International Business, commissioned by Oxford University Press
- 2015-June: Monarch Doctoral Symposium Rapperswil, Switzerland
- 2014-May: Monarch Doctoral Symposium Rapperswil, Switzerland
- 2013-September: Monarch Doctoral Symposium Zug, Switzerland
- 2012-September: Monarch Doctoral Symposium Zug, Switzerland