Dr. Briel holds the positions of Professor of International Business. He also currently holds the position of Associate Professor in the Department of Communications & Media Studies at the University of Nicosia, Cyprus. Dr. Briel holds a Ph.D. in Cultural Theory from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst and an M.A. in Comparative Literature from the University Michigan, Ann Arbor. He also holds a B.A. in English from Eberhardt-Karls-Uiversitat Tubingen, Germany. Professor Briel also completed a portion of his graduate studies at the Universite de Paris, Sorbonne.
Professor Briel has taught at several universities in the past including: The University of Innsbruck, New York University Skopje, Aristotle University Thessaloniki, The University of Athens and the University of Surrey. He has also held Vice-Rector and Deanship positions at New York Unviersity Skopje. He is the recipient of many research grants and fellowships and is a well published academic with many books, book chapters and peer reviewed articles on Cultural Studies. He is also a member of the EU Council for Higher Education. He has supervised several Ph.D. dissertations and over twenty Master level theses and sits as editor on several journals.
Academic Positions Held
- Professor of International Business, UGSM-Monarch Business School Switzerland
- Associate Professor, University of Nicosia, Cyprus
Academic Positions Held In The Past
- Vice-Rector, New York University Skopje (2005-2007)
- Acting Dean of Communication Studies, New York University Skopje (2006-2007)
- Founding Dean, Department of International Relations, New York University Skopje
- Associate Professor, Department of Management, University of Innsbruck, Austria
- Visiting Professor Cultural Studies, Aristotle University Thessaloniki
- Visiting Professor, DC School of Management, Kerala, India
- Visiting Professor, Institute of Occidental Studies (IKON) Malaysia
- Visiting Professor, Indian Institute of Learning & Management, New Delhi
- Visiting Professor, Communication Studies, Ateneo de Manila University, Philippines
- Greek Ministry of Culture Senior Fellow, University of Athens
- Lecturer Mass Media, University of Surrey, England
- Ph.D. in Cultural Theory, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- MA Comparative Literature, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- BA English, Eberhardt-Karls-Universität Tübingen
Awards And Honors
- Member, EU Council for Higher Education
- Expert for P5 Culture and Media Programs Executive Agency, EU Brussels
- Ph.D. Fellowship, University of Massachusetts
- MA Fellowship, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- MA Fellowship, University of Hawaii
- Exchange Fellowship, Universitat Tubingen
- Associate Editor, The Cyprus Facts
- Associate Editor, International Journal for Humanities
Main Academic Interests
- Inter-cultural Management
- Business Ethics
- Cross-Cultural / Multi-Cultural Working Environments
- Arts & Media in Business
- Organizational Behavior
- Business Communications
Associations And Memberships
- Member, ACBSP-Accreditation Council For Business Schools & Programs, USA
- Member, ECBE-European Council For Business Education, Switzerland
- Cultural Studies Association
- International Association for Media and Communication Research
- International Communication Association
- Theory, Culture and Society Association
- Cyprus Academic Forum
- Bundesverband Offene Kanäle
- Association for Historical Research and Dialogue
- Readings of the Machine: The gaming industry and narrativity. (2004)
- The Philosophy of Dance :Carl Laban and the Fin-de siècle. (2002)
- Intercultural Vision. London: Continuum, 2013
- Glocalisation: Electronic Media in South Eastern Europe. (Commissioning Editor and Main Contributor) Skopje: Blesok, 2009
- German Culture and Society: A Glossary. (Commissioning Editor and Main Contributor) London: Arnold, 2002
- In Practice: Adorno, Critical Theory and Cultural Studies. (Commissioning Editor and Contributor) Bern: Lang, 2001
- Adorno und Derrida, oder Wo Liegt das Ende der Moderne? (Adorno and Derrida, or Where Lies the End of Modernity?) Berne/New York: Lang, 1993
- “The drawn out diaspora – The Manga industry on the shores of the Other.” In: Stein, Daniel et al (eds). Transnationalism and Manga. New York: Continuum, forthcoming 2012.
- “Blogging, Business and On-line subjectivities” in: Ruth Parker-Gounelas (ed.). The Psychology and Politics of the Collective. London: Routledge, 2012: 168-182.
- Glocalisation: New Issues in Leadership Development.” The Cyprus Research Facts 2(2011): 1-12.
- “Richard T. Gray‘s Money Matters. Economics and the German Cultural Imagination, 1770-1850. In: Journal of Contemporary European Studies, 18, 1, 2010. (Review Article)
- “The Roving Eye Meets Travelling Pictures: The Field of Vision and the Global Rise of Adult Manga.” in: Beringer, Mark (ed.). Comics as Nexus of Culture. Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland, 2010: 187-211
- “Business Cultures and Media between West and East.” Occasional papers of the India Institute of Learning and Management, New Delhi, 2009
- “The Trouble with (Cultural) Walls. Do they Enhance Security?” in: International Security Forum. June 2009. http://inter-security-forum.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66:the-trouble-with-walls-do-they-enhance-security&catid=37:general&Itemid=147
- “The Languages of Civil Society”. (Review Essay) in: Journal of Contemporary European Studies 2008: 152-153.
- “The television industry and New Media –Europe.” in Bayer, Gerd (ed.) Greenwood Encyclopaedia of World Cultures. Vol. 3 Europe. 2007. 50 pp.
- “Germany in Europe” (Review Essay) in: Journal of Contemporary European Studies 14.1 (April) 2006:119-121.
- “Interaction with German Media Futures” in: Briel (ed.) Culture and Society. London: Arnold, 2002:164-184.
- “Media of Mass Communication: The Press, Radio and Television and Business” in: Van der Will, Wilfried and Eva Kolinsky (eds). The Cambridge Companion to Modern German Culture. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1998: 322-337.
- “Machine War and its Implications for the Aesthetic Theory of Theodor Adorno’s Minima Moralia”. Proceedings of The Image of War Conference, ed. Will Wright and Steve Kaplan. Pueblo, CO: Society for the Interdisciplinary Study of Social Imagery, 1992:2 74-278.